As the semester comes to an end, I have been in a panic trying to fit everything in that I want to see, do and eat in Klaipėda! Here’s a list of some must-do’s for your time here here so you don’t miss out on anything:
- Go to the Baltic. You can walk or run there fairly quickly, and there’s a bus that runs every 15 minutes from just down the road from LCC. It’s super easy and definitely something you don’t want to miss–especially at sunset!
- Go for a walk in the woods. There’s a cute walking trail in the woods just a 15 minute walk down the road from LCC. If you’re in there at the right time you might even see a moose! But either way, it’s a quite and peaceful place to reflect on things or get some fresh air. A lot of us didn’t realize they were there until late in the semester and wished we had known sooner.
3. Find the Klaipėda statues. There’s a list of cool statues to find throughout the city–a mouse, a ghost, and a bunch of other random animals/figures. One thing we’ve spent the past weeks doing is hunting them all down, so start early!
4. Get baby arms. WHAT? Yes, baby arms. There’s a bar in Old Town called Old Town Bar, and they have Old Town Fingers (Baby Arms) that are to die for! They’re cheese or chicken filled bread you dip in a spicy/garlic mayo sauce and they are heavenly. Trust me, you’ll start craving them.
5. Donut Tree. Don’t question anything with the word ‘donut’ in it, just go. Find the shop, eat donuts, be happy.
Klaipėda may seem like a small city in comparison to Boston, Chicago, and other cities we’re used to, but there are so many things to do that one semester is hardly enough time to scratch the surface. This is my top 5 bucket list (though there are SO many other things I could add in as well)! I’ve come to love this little city. 🙂
*Shout out to Luke from Messiah for winning our photo contest with 97 likes–thanks for voting!
Lithuanian word of the week: food – maistas